Minor incompatibility between Cnews and A/UX (possible Cnews bug)

Bill Meahan wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org
Wed Jun 26 08:00:16 AEST 1991

In article <scs.677869448 at wotan.iti.org> scs at iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:
>alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>
>>Also, quite interestingly, I've discovered that egrep seems to be _much_
>>slower than grep at doing this. res at colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) first mentioned
>>that this was true on a Unix-PC, and it's true on Macs as well. Perhaps it's
>>System V-dependant? Or is this just a special case where egrep is unusually
>>slow?
>
>It's something horrible in some versions of sysV egrep.  On a UNIX-PC
>some C-News scripts simply will not run due to grep/egrep problem.  I
>strongly recommend getting GNU grep/egrep and replacing the 3b1 grep
>with them.  If AUX has the same problem, a similar fix applies.
>--
>  "If we don't provide support to our users someone is bound to
>   confuse us with Microsoft."
>	-- Charles "Chip" Yamasaki

Hmmm.  On MY late-model ;-) 3B1 (one of the last) under both 3.51a and
3.51m I've had NO particular problems with C-News.  Never modified any
scripts, never replaced any code.  Just plain ol' C-News.

Of course, I don't try to get a FULL feed here, just 40-50 groups :-)
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   I taught my daughter's cat a trick!!
wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |   I say to her, "Velcro! Ignore me."