Minor incompatibility between Cnews and A/UX (possible Cnews bug)

Steve Simmons scs at iti.org
Wed Jun 26 03:04:08 AEST 1991

alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>Also, quite interestingly, I've discovered that egrep seems to be _much_
>slower than grep at doing this. res at colnet.uucp (Rob Stampfli) first mentioned
>that this was true on a Unix-PC, and it's true on Macs as well. Perhaps it's
>System V-dependant? Or is this just a special case where egrep is unusually
>slow?

It's something horrible in some versions of sysV egrep.  On a UNIX-PC
some C-News scripts simply will not run due to grep/egrep problem.  I
strongly recommend getting GNU grep/egrep and replacing the 3b1 grep
with them.  If AUX has the same problem, a similar fix applies.
--
  "If we don't provide support to our users someone is bound to
   confuse us with Microsoft."