Misc A/UX Questions

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Jun 19 21:08:15 AEST 1991

In article <54149 at apple.Apple.COM> chuq at Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach, only here for the beer) writes:
}MATLEVAN at EKU (Jerry LeVan) writes:
}
}>I am not running a Name Server, but do use a
}>host table. Post a message to any of the neighboring machines
}>and I get a "Host Name Lookup Failure".
}
}Our sendmail won't run without a name server somewhere on the network to
}attach to. (sigh)
}

My port of sendmail 5.64 includes hacks that allow sendmail to look in
/etc/hosts if the nameserver query fails (either because the server couldn't
find the hostname (you used an alias defined in /etc/hosts) or if the server
isn't running.

Pre 2.0 versions of A/UX's sendmail did a similar thing...

It's available via anon-ftp on jagubox :)

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.4
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"If we increase the size of the penguin until it is the same height as a man
 and then compare the relative brain size, we know find that the penguin's
 brain is still smaller. But, and this is the point, it is larger than it WAS!"