Accessing a LaserWriter from A/UX *and* MacOS

Darryl E. Marsee demarsee at deadhead.syr.EDU
Thu Jun 6 11:51:12 AEST 1991

In article <9106040115.AA14683 at melmac.umd.edu> steveg at melmac.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:

>	   1.  The best way to do it is to put the laserwriter on localtalk
>	       with the MacOS machines.  Then, the AUX machine and run an lpr
>	       server for itself and the other UNIX machines.  If your MacOS
>	       macs have ethernet, then you will need a router of some sort
>	       for the printer.

I've tried this, and it works fine ... however, you are tied to whatever
printer has been chosen by the Chooser/at_cho_prn.  Is there a way that an
AUX box can spool to an appletalk-based laserwriter by bypassing the Chooser?
Maybe with an entry in the printcap file for zone and printer name, such as
zn=OtherZone and pn=OtherLaserWriter?  I'd like to be free to choose whatever
device *I* want to print to from AUX while machines that spool through AUX can
still print to whatever other devices are out there.

Many Thanks & Regards,

Darryl E. Marsee
Syracuse University
demarsee at gamera.cns.syr.edu