A/UX on new 030 notebooks?

William Roberts; liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Wed Jun 19 20:44:52 AEST 1991

In <64631 at bbn.BBN.COM> jjd at bbn.com (James J Dempsey) writes:

>If Apple were to introduce a 68030 based portable, assuming one
>had a sufficiently large disk (perhaps external), would it be safe for
>one to assume that A/UX would most likely run on such a computer?

It will be illuminating to find out, won't it...
Looking at the recent record of Apple CPUs, software and peripherals, it seems
that A/UX wasn't important enough to bother supporting it on the existing Mac
portable, or on the LC, it wasn't important enough to alpha test HyperCard 2.0
with, it wasn't important enough to bother having the Personal LaserWriter
work with it (alas, SCSI problems).

Things evidently are changing: the new style Ethernet cards even come with an
A/UX driver when you don't ask for one. I guess the big question for Apple
would be "is it worth the extra cost to have an A/UX capable machine?" - who
is going to buy an Apple portable to run A/UX that wouldn't buy an Apple
portable which didn't run A?UX? Will the UNIX laptop marketplace be completely
swamped by the SPARC-based machines?

If it we me, I'd have to say that A/UX on an Apple portable isn't worth
raising the price for. If there is a low power 68030 which gives decent
battery life in a small lightweight unit then fine, lets run A/UX on it. If
the battery life is significantly longer for a 68020 machine then it's a much
tougher question.

% William Roberts                 Internet:  liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
% Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam at qmw-dcs.UUCP
% Mile End Road                   Telephone: +44 71 975 5234
% LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Fax:       +44 81-980 6533