MINIX 1.5 vs A/UX

Ray Terry rterry at hpcuhc.cup.hp.com
Fri Jun 14 01:16:41 AEST 1991

>> Does anyone have experience with MINIX 1.5 by Andrew W. Tanenbaum
>> (marketed by Prentice Hall) for the Mac?  I would like to have a
>> Unix-like environment on my Mac, but the purchase price for A/UX
>> is a little steep for personal use.  MINIX 1.5 is only $127, which
>> is certainly appealing.  It sounds "too good to be true", though!
>
>Yea, I have a whole term of experience.  You don't want it.  It bites.
>Crashes when you move the mouse too much (its VBL unrolls the stack frame
>to kick processes out when they exceed their quota and the mouse VBL
>interferes with it).  Anyway, its skanky, and you don't want it.

Yes, I agree.  MacMinix is a nice concept, but v1.5 has a lot of problems.
They are working on fixing the many Mac related bugs it in, but back in
February I was told "two weeks".  Ummmm...  In short, I purchased it back
in September and have gotten little use out of it since due to its many
bugs...

Ray