Cave Men and Dinosaurs

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Wed Jun 12 05:43:40 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <9105251839.AA09210 at melmac.umd.edu>,
  steveg at melmac.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
<
< Many other UNIX platforms suffer from the same problem that AUX does.. its
< not vanilla this or vanilla that.  Things are no different for many of the
< other SysV based machines with BSD extensions.  (I have had many of the same
< problems with IRIX and Unicos that I originally had with AUX)
<
Wrong -- most other "mixed-environment" systems are worse because they
provide different "universes" for the SVID/BSD/POSIX compatibility stuff,
in some cases even using different compilers (with different bugs :-( ).

< The problem as I see it is that too many assumptions
< are made if you #define SYSV.  Programs that have #ifdefs based on system
< calls, include files, libraries, etc.. usually port without any trouble to
< AUX.  (Larry Wall's stuff is great)
<
Just look into Perl's Configure stuff for a hint at how many _really_ ugly
Unixes are out there. Compared to these, A/UX is OK. Really.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/