Definite bug in A/UX 2.0.1 SF Package

Tony Cooper tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz
Fri Jun 14 00:20:39 AEST 1991

The only bugs involved here are the moths in my brain. I reported a bug
where the SF C routines (ie the lowercase-named routines such as sfgetfile)
required sfgetfile(&where, ...) instead of sfgetfile(where, ...). Well this
is not a bug at all. It is supposed to be that way and is clearly documented
in the A/UX toolbox guides (both 1.1 and 2.0). My problem was that I thought
the lowercase routines were just for using C strings (instead of Pascal) and I
completely forgot that Points were different as well. I don't know why
points are treated differently since both points and pointers to points
are 4 byte quantities, but I'm not much of a MacOS programmer so I don't
have a very good grasp of this stuff anyway.

And I mentioned in an earlier posting that sfgetfile crashed the system
when run under A/UX and compiled with cc. Well I don't know what caused
the crash but I do know that I can avoid it if I call WaitNextEvent three
times before sfgetfile (or SFGetFile or ...) then the crash doesn't
occur.

Cheers,
Tony Cooper

PS The newly announced hybrid programming environment looks pretty good.
Bit beyond my price range (cc is "free" and I use THINK C on the other side)
especially considering that A/UX currently has X11R4 programming tools and
a C compiler that compiles MacOS source already. It's hard to see what you
get extra for the money.
the ANSI compiler gets included "free" in future upgrades of A/UX.