Copying file systems

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Sun Jun 9 16:48:51 AEST 1991

jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) wrote (a few weeks ago):

>Oh yeah, by the way. The correct /etc/disktab entry for the 335MB Wren Runner
>(ST 4385D, 385H: 94181-385) is:
>	# Wren 4385
>	WR385|Runner|ST4385:\
>		:ty=winchester:ns#56:nt#15:nc#791:

Not according to Apple. The entry supplied by A/UX says:
# MicroNet SBX330
#
MN330|mn330|SBX330:\
        :ty=winchester:ns#46:nt#9:nc#1409:

The MicroNet is none other than this Wren 4385.

So which is right? More to the point, how can any of them be right? This
disk, along with all of the new big Wrens (and now other manufacturers' models
too) uses ZBR, which puts different numbers of sectors on various sets of
cylinders. How do you decide what to do in such a case? We have one of these
Wrens, and we also have a 630MB Wren with ZBR. I just used the Generic entry
for that one. Was there a better approach?

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
alexis at panix.com
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis