SyQuest 40MB removable won't mount under unix

Dominic Dunlop domo at tsa.co.uk
Sun Mar 10 03:15:34 AEST 1991

In article <12385 at goofy.Apple.COM> rick at apple.COM () writes:

> In article <2399 at taurus.BITNET> <shani%math.tau.ac.il at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
> >Could anyone help me with mounting a SyQuest 40MB removable disk under A/UX ?
> >when A/UX boots, it says:
> >generic disk c1d0s30 Retry limit: Logical block 0, physical block 0
> >Disk write c1d0s30 Error: More data than SCSI device requested
>
>     The error you see is due to a bug in 2.0 (fixed in 2.0.1) wherein
>     the disk driver issues a "mode-select" command to the Syquest in order
>     to set the error-recovery parameters.
>
>     It is possible to set these error-recovery bits permanently by use
>     of one of the multitude of Mac disk utilities out there.
>
>     Now for the technical details:
>
>     Find a utility that will do the mode-select "permanent" for you,
>     and set the byte accordingly.

What Rick omits to mention is that there is a program which claims to do
just that on Apple's own support system, aux.support.apple.com.  It's in
a uuencoded compressed tar file by the name of
/usr/spool/ftp/aux.patches/unsupported/fix_error.uu.  Snarf it, unencode
and unarchive it, and you'll get a Mac application called Fix Error Page
and a TeachText README file.  For those with ftp, the internet address
of the system is 130.43.6.2; for those without, call +1 408 559 3066 and
login as aux.  (Twice.  You'll see what I mean.)  For anybody, the
system is  S L O W , but a whole lot better than nothing.

By the way, I haven't tried the thing.  I thought it might be a fix for
uux...

--
Dominic Dunlop