Obnoxious load-dependant bug in UUCP

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Thu Mar 14 03:54:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.125557.433 at skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:

>Apple should allow HSKi/HSKo for hardware flow control and GPi for
>carrier detect.  This would be the best compromise.

Most UNIX systems I've used/programmed had so buggy hardware flow
control on the serial line, that XON/XOFF was the only practical
solution. Speaking as an engineer who had to test many modems with
HW flow control, some of them had so weird handshaking (dropping 109s
and all kinds of weird high state definitions) that XON/XOFF seemed to
be the compromise concerning standards. Yes, HW handshaking is faster,
but with slower speeds this is marginal.

For more fun info about the GPi (General Purpose input) and MacOS, please
read the latest TN #286 by Craig Prouse/DTS.

Kent Sandvik, MacDTS
Disclaimer: Private activity on USENET