Obnoxious load-dependant bug in UUCP

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Sun Mar 17 18:43:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar13.172541.1413 at mitem> unger at mitem (Tom Unger) writes:
>I have a program called uugetty that I adapted from a program called ringback
>that came from:
>                                - Paul Traina (pst at anise.acc.com)
>                                adapted from work by:
>                                - Jon Zeeff (umix!b-tech!zeeff)
>
>uugetty is run from init.  It initializes the modem and waits for an
>incomming call.  When the call comes it answer the call and execs
>login.  When the user exits init restarts uugetty.  uugetty will
>recognize what baud rate the connection is at and set the tty accordingly.
>
>uugetty also monitors the tty for any other traffic.  If anything comes
>through uugetty gives up the tty then falls in to a loop where it
>checks the existance of a uucp lock file for the tty.  When the lock
>file goes away uugetty returns and initializes the modem.

The getty that comes with A/UX 2.0 does all of this too. (1.x did _not_,
which is why all that was necessary.)

The question is, does it turn on/off modem control on the line? If it does,
then you've got something. Otherwise, you still have to wrap uucico.

To be honest, I'd still rather wrap uucico, as I wrote earlier...

This actually brings up another question. What would _really_ be useful is a
replacement to uucico. After all, that's where all the trouble lies. Anybody
got one that works as-is with the rest of A/UX's UUCP system?

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis