Obnoxious load-dependant bug in UUCP

Tom Unger unger at mitem
Thu Mar 14 03:25:41 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar11.190108.27114 at intacc.uucp> mann at intacc.uucp (Jeff Mann) writes:
>you use (or the script itself if it is short enough). I have also written
>some stuff which lets me successfully use a port for incoming and
>outgoing calls.  First I have a c program called setmodem.  When
>changing a port from incoming to outgoing, it uses init(1M) to turn the
>getty off for the port, turns off modem control so I can talk to the
>modem, and sets up parameters on the Telebit. I also have a fake uucico
>which calls setmodem before exec'ing the real uucico. I can post these
>programs, along with a few necessary changes to inittab, etc., if there
>is a demand for it. I think it should be portable to any A/UX system.
>However, I have no doubt duplicated the efforts of other A/UX users in
>this area, so I'd like to know what other people have done.

I have a program called uugetty that I adapted from a program called ringback
that came from:
                                - Paul Traina (pst at anise.acc.com)
                                adapted from work by:
                                - Jon Zeeff (umix!b-tech!zeeff)

uugetty is run from init.  It initializes the modem and waits for an
incomming call.  When the call comes it answer the call and execs
login.  When the user exits init restarts uugetty.  uugetty will
recognize what baud rate the connection is at and set the tty accordingly.

uugetty also monitors the tty for any other traffic.  If anything comes
through uugetty gives up the tty then falls in to a loop where it
checks the existance of a uucp lock file for the tty.  When the lock
file goes away uugetty returns and initializes the modem.

The only change this requires to the uucp system is to maybe add an
extra character to the front of all chat scripts because uugetty seems
to eat the first character.

I can send the source code to anyone who is interested or will post it
here if there is enough interest.

Tom Unger
unger!mitem at igc.org
MITEM.