Obnoxious load-dependant bug in UUCP

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Mon Mar 18 08:35:09 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar17.082904.1993 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

> dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>>> [Jeff Mann wrote:] Since the Mac cannot support hardware
>>> flow control and modem control at the same time, and since modem control is
>>> essential for security and other reasons, you cannot use flow control [...]
>>
>>Apple should allow HSKi/HSKo for hardware flow control and GPi for
>>carrier detect.  This would be the best compromise.
>
>What they _should_ do is build serial ports that are capable of working
>right. Switching to 8 pins was just foolish. (And I know all about "cost
>savings" and "connector space on rear panel" arguments.)
>
>Sadly, even your suggestion won't work. Apple won't support it because on
>some Macs, the GPi pin isn't even connected any more. Go figure.

FYI, that's the LC. DTS did not like this thing, but it was too late.
We are looking at doing something with the CTB tools so the GPi line
could be used for 109 signalling concerning 109 signals from modems
(maybe that's already done, I have not checked into it lately so
sorry if I'm wrong).

Kent

--
Disclaimer: Private activity on the Net, in no way connected to any company.
Zippy++ says: END, END; or END. is sure clearer than "}".