A/UX experiences

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 12 21:54:53 AEST 1991

In article <2411 at taurus.BITNET> shani%math.tau.ac.il at TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Oren Shani) writes:
}In article <29269 at cs.yale.edu> ewing-martin at cs.yale.edu (Martin Ewing) writes:
}>
}>-People are used to powering off Macs whenever they run into problems, like
}>hung machines, or when they leave the lab.  We find that there's about a
}>1 in 3(?) chance of corrupting our 80 MB hard disk when they do this, and
}>we've ended up reloading the whole system several times.
}>
}
}  I wonder if there is a way to make A/UX automaticly fsck it's disk in
}startup, like B.S.D derived systems do. I noticed that many times (especially
}after using the 24-bit desktop), partitions are marked dirty for no reason
}at all, and a simple fsck -y fixes the problem...
}

Yep, there is...

To make sure that the Root file system is fsck'ed, make sure that under SASH's
Booting Preferences menu, the AutoRecovery Command is "fsck /dev/default".
This FORCES a fsck on Root on the initial SASH boot-up sequence. I also
recommend setting the AutoLaunch command to "launch -v -s" since this gives
more info when A/UX starts up, and the /etc/*rc files are run (and the addi-
tional fsck's are made on the other file systems)

Now, to force A/UX to fsck your other FS's, edit the /etc/bcheckrc file...
basically, you just want this run-file to call /etc/fsck (no options)... this
will force a fsck on all FS's defined in /etc/fstab and NOT set-up as "ignore"
(as is the Root FS.... this is okay since Root is checked at SASH time :)

There you go! A/UX now fully fsck's each file system, whether marked clean or
NOT!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Exploding is a perfectly normal medical phenomenon. In many fields of
 medicine nowadays, a dose of dynamite can do a world of good."