A/UX experiences

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Wed Mar 13 08:49:54 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <2411 at taurus.BITNET>,
  shani%math.tau.ac.il at TAUNIVM.TAU.AC.IL (Oren Shani) writes:
< In article <29269 at cs.yale.edu> ewing-martin at cs.yale.edu (Martin Ewing) writes:
<
<   I wonder if there is a way to make A/UX automaticly fsck it's disk in
< startup, like B.S.D derived systems do. I noticed that many times (especially
< after using the 24-bit desktop), partitions are marked dirty for no reason
< at all, and a simple fsck -y fixes the problem...
<
What's wrong with "fsck -p"? That should be exactly what you need.

I don't know what you mean by "marked as dirty with no reason". A partition
is marked as dirty iff it couldn't be unmounted cleanly on shutdown, which
mostly happens when people shutdown their mac the hard way (i.e. with the
power button in the back).

NB: Is it just me or is the powerfail entry in /etc/inittab really ignored in
A/UX 2.0 ? (This is on a IIfx if it matters.) A/UX 1.1 ran that entry after
you pressed that button, which at least enabled you to run sync.

<   I am very impressed too, especially from the fact that it really works :-)
< Except for some annoying things (like no file-completion in csh), and funny

Get tcsh or bash. Both (binaries, for bash sources too of course) should be
available from wuarchive.wustl.edu in /systems/aux somewhere.
Personally I couldn't live without bash for interactive use.

Caution: Both bash and tcsh tend to hang the system when used in the console
emulator.  This seems to be a kernel bug.

< phenomena along the borderlines between the Unix and the MacOS approach to
< things (have you tried pulling programs to the desktop?), I realy find A/UX
Yep. Works the way it's supposed to, i.e. from the MacOS side the
files/folders are on the root level and from the A/UX side they're still
where they were.
Now this might be a bit obscure but the alternative is not to allow anyone
except root to put anything onto the Desktop at all, and that in turn is not
a good idea.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49-721-621127(0700-2330)   \o)/