A/UX experiences

shani at taurus.BITNET shani at taurus.BITNET
Tue Mar 12 18:30:31 AEST 1991

In article <29269 at cs.yale.edu> ewing-martin at cs.yale.edu (Martin Ewing) writes:

>-People are used to powering off Macs whenever they run into problems, like
>hung machines, or when they leave the lab.  We find that there's about a
>1 in 3(?) chance of corrupting our 80 MB hard disk when they do this, and
>we've ended up reloading the whole system several times.

  I wonder if there is a way to make A/UX automaticly fsck it's disk in
startup, like B.S.D derived systems do. I noticed that many times (especially
after using the 24-bit desktop), partitions are marked dirty for no reason
at all, and a simple fsck -y fixes the problem...

>-With the default setup, people can get into single user mode and start
>trashing the root file system.  Nobody's done this yet, but some people do
>like to run the machines in MacOS mode for some reason.

  Yea, it's about time that apple will give a security handle to disk volumes,
in the same manner as appleshare volumes...

>Generally, we're still impressed by all that A/UX can do.

  I am very impressed too, especially from the fact that it really works :-)
Except for some annoying things (like no file-completion in csh), and funny
phenomena along the borderlines between the Unix and the MacOS approach to
things (have you tried pulling programs to the desktop?), I realy find A/UX
a good system. The project I am using it for, involves real time co-operation
between the Mac and a SPARCStation, and I don't want to even think of how would
I do it without A/UX...

O.S.