Obnoxious load-dependant bug in UUCP

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Sun Mar 17 18:35:37 AEST 1991

urlichs at smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.unix.aux, article <1991Mar12.125557.433 at skbat.csc.ti.com>,
>  dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>< Apple should allow HSKi/HSKo for hardware flow control and GPi for
>< carrier detect.  This would be the best compromise.
><
>I second this wholeheartedly.
>
>It's a shame that there's this perfectly workable input pin there, and A/UX
>doesn't use it.
>
>Some people need both carrier detect and hardware flow control.
>I can get by without a hardware solution to get the modem to hang up, but
>that doesn't work too well in the other direction...

As I wrote previously, Apple doesn't even have GPi on some Macs.

On the other hand, there is one solution. Digiboard makes 4 and 8 port serial
boards for A/UX that support both DTR/DCD and RTS/CTS (HSKi/HSKo). They come
with hydra cables that have real DB-25s at the ends!

I don't know how this works yet but I'm installing one tomorrow on Panix.
I'll let you know. (BTW, they also support Berkeley-style line control. So
the whole issue of dialin-dialout is moot.)

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis