A/UX gripe

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 23 06:04:59 AEST 1991

alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>With that said, be advised: Clear the Decks. I just spent 4 days with about
>15 hours of sleep, 5 meals, and one shower, trying to install A/UX 2.0.1.
>Today I'm recovering, and tomorrow, perhaps with some emotional detachment,
>I'll try to post a description of what went wrong so that others don't get
>burned too. But if I'm not so detached I'm sure you'll all understand. :-)

The ftp-able distribution upgrade went over without a hitch. It may just
be the floppy based version that's evil. Of course, we do have some
advantages since I didn't have to worry about passwd (NIS handles that
for us). But in any case the installation was by the numbers.

>BTW, A/UX 2.0.1 itself is excellent (modulo a few bugs which were supposed
>to be fixed...). It's just the installer I hate. I may be imagining things
>but it seems to me that the speed of drawing operations on the console is
>drastically enhanced. Now that it's finally up I'm quite happy with it.

Everyone here has been very pleased with the console speedups. I'm still
annoyed that my machine gripes about 'Swap space running out' when
swap -l claims there's 10M left available, but that's a fairly minor
annoyance. I'm more annoyed that the header files still require both
_SYSV_SOURCE and _BSD_SOURCE defined; the combination should (IMHO) be
nonsense and get you yelled at. But things are certainly much faster and
lots of things work much better. I'm quite happy :-)

--John