A/UX gripe

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Fri Mar 22 16:42:17 AEST 1991

In article <12665 at goofy.Apple.COM> ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
> [stuff...]
>Anyway, the issue with third party vendor hard disks are important. And
>I'm sure people from A/UX engineering are listenining to this debate and taking
>notes.
>
>Kent Sandvik (kind of tired of the dangers with posting stuff on Usenet, maybe
>time for a 2 month vacation from the Net :-)  )

Please don't. While we've gotten a little geared up about this, I (and I'm
sure, all the others involved) were never attacking you personally. If you
felt individually abused, I'm sorry...

With that said, be advised: Clear the Decks. I just spent 4 days with about
15 hours of sleep, 5 meals, and one shower, trying to install A/UX 2.0.1.
Today I'm recovering, and tomorrow, perhaps with some emotional detachment,
I'll try to post a description of what went wrong so that others don't get
burned too. But if I'm not so detached I'm sure you'll all understand. :-)

BTW, A/UX 2.0.1 itself is excellent (modulo a few bugs which were supposed
to be fixed...). It's just the installer I hate. I may be imagining things
but it seems to me that the speed of drawing operations on the console is
drastically enhanced. Now that it's finally up I'm quite happy with it.

Just one word of advice for floppy-upgrade users (I don't know about the
FTP version).   READ THE INSTALLATION DOCS ***VERY CAREFULLY***. They're
written in the usual simplistic way and you'll be inclined to skip through
them. You do this at your own risk!

Glad to be back on the net,
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis