A/UX 2.0.1 questions

Marc T. Kaufman kaufman at neon.Stanford.EDU
Mon Mar 18 13:10:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar17.182949.12942 at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rob at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) writes:
>In article <1991Mar17.075747.1576 at panix.uucp> alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

{I probably lost several levels of quoting as to who really wrote this...}
->>Anyway, if a customer reads that HD Setup can partition *any*
->>TPV hard disk, and tries with HD Setup, which can't possibly know
->>all the possible firmware programming setups and firmware control
->>codes for every TPV hard disk drive, then....

->>In the worst case he gets angry, and if he's rich and is really mad
->>he will sue Apple - and court cases are not fun.

Wait a minute.  (Alexis, I think) was talking about PARTITIONING and you are
talking about FORMATTING.  They are NOT the same thing.  We are talking
about putting a partition map on the disk, like with dp, which ONLY requires
Read, Write and (maybe) Read Capacity.  The disk is already formatted, no?

We have already determined that the disk is A/UX compatible, and so can be
read/written with the A/UX driver.

.>This is a straw man. You don't have to _guarantee_ anything. But you _could_

>I don't know. In the minds of most users, if it even TRIES to format the
>drive, that means that Apple supports it. And if it doesn't work, it's
>Apple's fault.

Repeat after me: "Partition, not FORMAT!". Any OS that can do a makefs is
powerful enough to write a partition map.  If the OS can mount multiple
partitions to A/UX, then there is absolutely no reason it can't mount
multiple HFS partitions.  This has NOTHING to do with unsuported SCSI
commands.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman at Neon.stanford.edu)