shutdown from the console emulator

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Thu Mar 21 04:04:42 AEST 1991

In <1991Mar12.200544.21227 at linus.mitre.org> kepowers at mbunix.mitre.org (Powers)
writes:

>I have been using the console emulator login type and using shutdown -y
>to bring my A/UX machine to single user.  I get the following error:

>shutdown:  callrpc RPC: port mapper failure

>The system echoes this twice and then proceeds to shut down to single
>user. I am running A/UX 2.0 on a MacIIci.

The reason you see this is tied up with the following:

>I don't have an ethernet interface.

So you didn't install the bnet code into the kernel, so there is no socket
stuff, so all of the SunRPC services fail immediately.

Shutdown is trying to warn everyone on your machine that there is going to be
a shutdown, and using the SunRPC-based "rwall" program to do it. This is
essentially harmless, though you might well find it useful to install the bnet
software anyway (even if you haven't got an ethernet card).