shutdown from the console emulator

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Sat Mar 23 18:11:45 AEST 1991

liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:

>In <1991Mar12.200544.21227 at linus.mitre.org> kepowers at mbunix.mitre.org (Powers)
>writes:

>>shutdown:  callrpc RPC: port mapper failure

>The reason you see this is tied up with the following:

>>I don't have an ethernet interface.

>So you didn't install the bnet code into the kernel, so there is no socket
>stuff, so all of the SunRPC services fail immediately.

  Funny, but I don't have an ethernet interface, and I *did* install the bnet
code.  (Unless I'm very much mistaken, X11R4 won't run at all unless you have
the bnet code installed).  I still see the message whenever I shutdown.
As you say, the message is essentially harmless, but just installing the
bnet drivers won't cure it...
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Try looking in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychotics'." -- Michael Santana