gcc problems (1.39 from afsg.apple.com)

Rob Pfile pfile at sprite.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 26 18:00:36 AEST 1991

I'm sorry if this is a FAQ topic, but I have not seen any discussion on it:

I downloaded gcc-1.39-aux.tar.Z from afsg.apple.com, and proceeded to
unpack it on to my macII (8MB ram, Quantum P210S, 8*24 GC, if that makes
any difference). Installation of gdb went OK, but running the fixincludes
script actually crashed very badly either when fixing sys/file.h or right
after it. It reports that a substitute pattern match fails, dumps core,
and appears to try to exit gracefully without updating the rest of the
include files.

Is there something I didnt do? The variable at the beginning of fixincludes
was already correct, that is /usr/local/Gnu.

I think something went wrong, because even though I later successfully compiled
xtetris2.04, my little program to simply open disk slice 31 will not compile;
gcc complains that O_RDONLY is undefined... This is probably pretty bad, since
most programs probably use that #define...

Do I need to include a different file under gcc?

Thanks for any help.

Rob Pfile
pfile at sprite.berkeley.edu