gcc problems (1.39 from afsg.apple.com)

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 27 03:08:06 AEST 1991

pfile at sprite.berkeley.edu (Rob Pfile) writes:
> [...] running the fixincludes
>script actually crashed very badly either when fixing sys/file.h or right
>after it. It reports that a substitute pattern match fails, dumps core,
>and appears to try to exit gracefully without updating the rest of the
>include files.

>Is there something I didnt do? The variable at the beginning of fixincludes
>was already correct, that is /usr/local/Gnu.

This is a known problem; I haven't had time to go sort it out yet. It
seems that fixincludes is stressing one utility or another in the wrong
way. I'll attempt to find it and put out a fix; I also need to test
fixincludes with the 2.0.1 header files.

>I think something went wrong, because even though I later successfully compiled
>xtetris2.04, my little program to simply open disk slice 31 will not compile;
>gcc complains that O_RDONLY is undefined... This is probably pretty bad, since
>most programs probably use that #define...

This could be the (moderately infamous) -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SYSV_SOURCE
problem. Apple's cc defines both of these symbols because the ^#@$
header files don't do what you expect them to do otherwise. I think this
is brain damage, so I don't have gcc define them (in the hope that
someone will get annoyed enough to fix things, perferably someone at
Apple who can get the fix into the next release...). My opinion is that
_AUX_SOURCE should turn on the A/UX superset of features and that
BSD_SOURCE or SYSV_SOURCE should turn on whatever is not in default A/UX
and turn off whatever is there that is incompatible with the given type.

--John