uugetty [Was Re: Scripts to deal with A/UX's buggy UUCP]

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Mon Mar 18 07:38:59 AEST 1991

alexis at panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>While this is a matter of personal preference, I wouldn't replace the getty.
>If you're resistant to using the uupoll I posted, you can simply alter Apple's
>uudemon a bit. Use the code in uupoll to switch the line before uucico'ing,
>and switch it back later.

>As for why I prefer not messing with getty- the side effects are greater,
>that's all.

Ah, but the program we're all talking about (uugetty, ringback, tgetty,
whatever you call it) doesn't replace the getty; it just waits for an
incoming call and *then* exec's the real getty.  It also does other nice
things, like resets the modem every time it starts up with a user-defined
sequence, and optionally keeping nice logs of just what it's doing.  Besides,
I never did get the alleged "new improved" getty to work at all on dialins
without a "front-end" like tgetty active.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Try looking in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychotics'." -- Michael Santana