Making "common file system" more unix-like?

David E. Bernholdt bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Fri Oct 6 08:45:05 AEST 1989

At the installations I'm familiar with, the "common file system" (CFS,
MASS, etc.: used for offline mass storage) is typically very
un-unix-like in its command structure, diagnostic output, etc.

I am wondering if anyone has made any attempt to make it more
unix-like, either via scripts or even a new interface?

I am also wondering what percentage of sites use a mass storage system
on the CFS model?  What other methods are common?

The only system I've encountered that *doesn't* have CFS is the Ohio
State Supercomputer Center, who reserve something like 8 cartridge
tapes per user and automatically compress files which haven't been
accessed in some time-frame.

Obviously CFS is an optional product, but who actually supplies it and
the software for it?
David Bernholdt			bernhold at qtp.ufl.edu
Quantum Theory Project		bernhold at ufpine.bitnet
University of Florida