"vi" & Supercomputer Performance

Booker bense booker at network.ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 9 05:30:31 AEST 1990

In article <2720 at uc.msc.umn.edu> alan at uh.msc.umn.edu (Alan Klietz) writes:
>Credit please.   Rvi was written at the University of Minnesota
>in 1987 and posted to comp.sources.unix volume 4.  The most recent
>version is available via anonymous ftp to uc.msc.edu in the directory
>/staff/rvi.   Secondly, it does not copy the file but rather it generates
>``ed'' commands for execution on a remote machine.

- This is a coincidence of names, the rvi developed here effectively
incorpates ftp within vi. It operates on a client server model in which
the client requests the server to either read in or write out a file.
All the editing takes place on the workstation. I asked the author for an
explaination of how it worked. I think the point of this work is to
make more effective use of both the workstation and Ymp cpu cycles, not
necessarily to avoid having screen editors on the YMP. i.e making it easier
for the user to use the machine effiecently and cheaply. Our version is
still undergoing testing, and is not generally available yet.
I also believe a version of remacs is in development.

( I'm not working on this project, so don't take anything I say as
a more than water cooler gossip. )

[stuff about philosphy deleted...]

>There is nothing intrinsically wrong with running a screen editor on a
>supercomputer.

- I would second this statement. Any problems we've had with system
overhead here have not been due to screen editors.

- Booker C. Bense

/* benseb at grumpy.sdsc.edu All disclaimers apply,
i.e. if caught the Secretary will deny all knowledge of this article's
existance. This disclaimer will self-destruct in 10 seconds */