Re^2: SVR4 shipping, sort of, allegedly; Microport is baaaaack

The Imaginative Moron aka Joey Pheromone paul at dialogic.com
Sat Aug 4 05:15:41 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug2.003304.19278 at alembic.acs.com> bill at alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) writes:
>As a uport V386 owner -- i can not understand why anyone would even
>consider the purchase of a microport release when you can get
>open desktop , multi-user, sw dev system, DWB, and much more from
>SCO for about $2800.    As per the recent news articles, microport
>wants $1600 to $2500 for a product "to be defined".
>
>bill hatch

SVR4 is a very different beast from SVR3, which is what you would get
from SCO. If you are a developer, with applications that would benefit
from such new features, you want it ASAP. As a user, I wouldn't even
*think* of getting SVR4 for at least a year -it'll take at least that
long to even become stable, let alone have applications that
specifically need it. Note that both supposed suppliers (microport &
UHM (?)) were specifically *developer* releases.

--
Paul Bennett	      |  			| "I give in, to sin, because
Dialogic Corp.	      |   paul at dialogic.com	|  You have to make this life