Re^2: SVR4 shipping, sort of, allegedly; Microport is baaaaack

Andrew A. Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Sat Aug 4 07:47:37 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug2.003304.19278 at alembic.acs.com> bill at alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) writes:
>As a uport V386 owner -- i can not understand why anyone would even
>consider the purchase of a microport release when you can get
>open desktop , multi-user, sw dev system, DWB, and much more from
>SCO for about $2800.    As per the recent news articles, microport
>wants $1600 to $2500 for a product "to be defined".
>
>bill hatch

Several things come to mind.

One, SCO modifies (some would say mangles :)) the UNIX that they get from ATT
(security, mmdf, microsoft C compiler).

Two, SCO won't be upgrading to S5R4 for a while. They have said on the net
(I believe) that they will add R4 functionality to their port of R3.2.
I personally don't trust them to get things (BSD file system and utilities,
job control, fill in the blank _____) as right as the real S5R4.

People are interested in the little guys like Microport and ESIX
because they can give you alot of bang for the buck.

I paid about $1200 for a developers version of SCO S5R3.2 without X window.
I would love to know how much ESIX S5R4 will be. Now, you can apparently
get a two user version of ESIX S5R3.2 with X for $400 and uucp the gcc
development tools for free.

Andy

--
Andy Burgess