UNIX and IDE interface?

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Fri Jun 1 10:56:14 AEST 1990

davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:

>  Has anyone ever run Xenix or UNIX on a system with a IDE disk? I can't
>seem to get an answer from anyone who's done it, and "it should work"
>from a vendor dosn't fill me with confidence.
>
>  I'm looking to put together a very low cost UNIX system, in quantity,
>and if I use an IDE interface I think I can do it for <$3k complete,
>including software, display, and ethernet. With one per person
>performance should not be an issue.

A business associate of mine that does Novell and Unix consulting has his
personal system running a Conner CP-3104 under Unix.  Which implementation, I
don't know.  The only thing that drives him crazy is the fact the Conner
drives are so quiet.

I can vouche for IDE working perfectly under Novell Netware.  That plus the
person I know who is running Unix with IDE should convince you.

I am convinced that IDE is 100% compatable with Unix/Xenix.  In fact, my next
hard drive that I'm allocating a chunk of my bank account towards is a Conner
CP-3204.

If you use a high end IDE drive, the performance is just as good as ESDI.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | Small memory model only for
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | Unix?  Get the (*bleep*) out
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | of here!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hd-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca