Windows 3.0 under vpix?

John M. Haugen haugen at bulus3.BMA.COM
Sun Jun 3 02:48:19 AEST 1990

In article <202 at abhg.UUCP>, misko at abhg.UUCP (William Miskovetz) writes:
> Has anyone installed Windows 3.0 under vpix?  I attempted it, but
> I get a "General protection violation, cannot emulate instruction"
> when the Windows Setup program gets to the second floppy.  You
> use to be able to run Windows under vpix.  Is this no longer true?

Same problem here.  I called ISC and was informed they are aware of the problem.
The problem is Microsoft's setup program determines that it is running on a
"286" class machine and attempts to use some of the 286 instruction set.  The
virtual mode of the 386 does not support those instructions and hence the error.

real mode may work.  Unfortunately, I don't have a dos partition anymore.

I suspect this problem will occur for both SCO and ISC since they are both using
the same program for the DOS emulation.

My understanding is Microsoft is not in a big hurry to correct this "problem"
in that they don't have the problem with their DOS emulation package running
on their version of Xenix.

I sure hope enough customer pressure comes to bare since the write program
that is included is a very nice document generater with its very simple to use
commands and ability to output Postscript.  If there were only a X based
package for about the same price!

> Bill Miskovetz.
> {uunet!lll-winken, apple!mathworks}!abhg!misko
> misko at mathworks.com
> abhg!misko at lll-winken.llnl.gov

John M. Haugen               Domain:  haugen at BMA.COM
Bull Micral of America       UUCP:    ...!uunet!bulus3!haugen
900 Long Lake Road           ATT:  612-633-5660