386/ix Xwindows 1.1 etc.

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM
Sun May 27 05:40:56 AEST 1990

In article <2658 at ektools.UUCP> herbert at kodak.com (Tom Herbert) writes:

>4.      Why are new copies of the commands such as /bin/ls etc required for
>        yellow pages?

Because anything that uses library routines like getpwent and such that
look into files controlled by the yellowpage server need to have these
routines know how to query the server instead of just looking in the local
files. Apparantly ISC's standard libc routines do not have this support
in them, and/or things like /bin/ls were not compiled with this support
and so they had to be reissued. I remember from when yellow page support
was put into AIX that this change can nearly require one to recompile
the world :-}.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM