Bell Technologies: 2nd async line?

Jim Paradis paradis at crater.zk3.dec.com
Wed May 2 13:07:33 AEST 1990

Anybody out there familiar with Bell Technologies/Intel SVR3.2?
I've got such a system here, and I can't seem to get the second
serial port to work.  The documentation says that the driver supports
two serial ports, but the kernel as configured by default only
supports one (/dev/tty00).  Any efforts to configure the second
serial line fail... adding a second 'asy' line to sdevice.d/asy
gives me "interrupt vector conflicts".

I'm guessing, but it appears as though it has trouble with the idea
that two devices of the same kind can have different interrupt
vectors (by default, COM1 on a PC uses vector 4, while COM2 uses
vector 3)...

Anybody out there who's managed to make this work?  Advice?
Opinions?  Should I just switch to a different brand of UN*X?
Or is there a less dain-bramaged third-party asy driver out
there?

Thanks!

Jim Paradis, working at but not employed by DEC.	(603)881-0435
paradis at decvax.dec.com     "Charles Babbage:  Inventor of Vaporware!"