Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6

Warner Losh imp at marvin.Solbourne.COM
Wed Dec 5 11:36:12 AEST 1990

In article <207 at frcs.UUCP> paul at frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:
>I have heard this attributed to Rear Admiral (retd) Grace Hopper, who
>had a malfunctioning program.  The cause was traced to a fried moth in
>the back of the computer.

While this is true, the use of bug goes back much farther.  There was
a long thread on this topic somewhere a while back.  People posted
enimilogies from the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) that show that
the usage dates back much farther than the 1940's.  If someone has the
discussion archived, then would they be so kind as to post it.

Warner

--
Warner Losh		imp at Solbourne.COM
We sing about Beauty and we sing about Truth at $10,000 a show.