Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6

Lar Kaufman lark at tivoli.UUCP
Tue Dec 4 02:07:01 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec1.030843.7161 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>eric at snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>> I dunno what weird UNIX you're using, but if you'll look at a stock AT&T SVr3.2...
 .
 .
 .
>V.3.2 is weird enough, Eric.  Look, Mayoff is just stating it as *everyone*
>knows it's *supposed* to be, not how AT&T decided to tweak it to try to
>confuse us...

And you probably haven't even seen what they did to the man pages for SVR4,
yet.  AT&T seems to be pretty disrespectful of certain traditions, and the
shifting around of the reference page system doesn't do much to improve
useability.

Of course, the "original" man page numbering system never made much sense,
either, but you'd expect any change to be in the direction of logical
restructuring, or at least so that the default behavior of man command
would probably display what you wanted to see.

-lar

--
Lar Kaufman lark       I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-329-2455   for man if he spent less time proving that he can