What does sync() _really_ do?

Dan Mercer mercer at npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM
Sat Dec 22 05:15:40 AEST 1990

In article <5156 at segue.segue.com> jim at segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) writes:
:
:In article <1635 at lot.ACA.MCC.COM> ables at lot.ACA.MCC.COM (King Ables) writes:
:>been processed and removed from the queue.  So when the 3rd
:>one returned, you knew the first one had actually happened.
:
:If one insists on believing that people are being rational in typing sync
:three times, that's a great hypothesis.  However, it has no basis in fact.
:While there may a such a sync queue in some kernel somewhere, there isn't one
:in any of the common kernels that have had triple syncs directed at them.
:(Gee, I hope I haven't violated a non-disclosure agreement by saying so.)
:
:[This paragraph has been placed here to satisfy some incredibly stupid person
:who coded inews to reject insufficiently lengthy new articles.
:Oh, that wasn't the intent of the check?  Like I said, incredibly stupid.
:IMHO, of course.]

Save the bandwidth.  postnews only checks the number of lines
beginning with '>' against the lines not beginning with it.  Yes it's
dumb.  Bypass it by globally changing the leading '>'s.  I've mapped
'g' in vi to do just that

map g :1,$s/^>/:/^M

--
Dan Mercer
NCR Network Products Division      -        Network Integration Services