What does sync() _really_ do?

Jim Balter jim at segue.segue.com
Sun Dec 23 07:20:02 AEST 1990

In article <1969 at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au> boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au (Boyd Roberts) writes:
>In article <5258 at segue.segue.com> jim at segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) writes:
>>Even if sync waited on dirty block writes, that would be a 1-deep "sync queue",
>>not the fabled 2-deep queue.
>
>There is no `sync queue'.

Sigh.  I forget that literacy is a thing of the past.  What was it that
Dijkstra said about fluency in one's native language being a requirement
for programmers?

1) I already said that there is no sync queue.  Don't quote me out of context.

2) "Even if ... that would be" is subjunctive.  Look it up.

3) A "sync queue" is not the same as a sync queue.  From my Random House
   style guide, `Use of quotation marks', note 12:  "To suggest ironic use of
   a word or phrase".

>I'm so pleased to see that the demise of comp.unix.wizards has resulted
>in comp.unix.misinformation being crossposted to comp.unix.*.

So pleased that you decided to contribute to the pollution.