Interfaces for accessing kernel memory

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Wed Dec 12 07:42:22 AEST 1990

In article <axhux8.50q at wang.com> mike at wang.com (Mike Sullivan) writes:

| When I worked at Alliant our arrangement was very simple, we mapped the
| kernel memory into the process (typically read only ;-) which needed
| access.  Since my only interest was in the proc table, and a few other
| structures which didn't have much call to change, it was immune to
| OS changes.  The direct mapping of kernel memory made linked lists very
| easy to follow.

This suffers from the same problem that diving into /vmunix and
reading /dev/kmem does, namely that things can change from under you
if you take a page fault or lose your time slice to another process at
the wrong time......
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?