Interfaces for accessing kernel memory

Mike Sullivan mike at wang.com
Wed Dec 12 00:31:54 AEST 1990

tchrist at convex.com (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>We've all written (or at least seen) programs that make kernel dives
>into /dev/mem using an nlist from /vmunix in order to figure out what
>some particular kernel variable looks like, or perhaps even to change
>it.

>arrays of structures?  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to get the first,
>then the next element until null, of the array?

>--tom

When I worked at Alliant our arrangement was very simple, we mapped the
kernel memory into the process (typically read only ;-) which needed
access.  Since my only interest was in the proc table, and a few other
structures which didn't have much call to change, it was immune to
OS changes.  The direct mapping of kernel memory made linked lists very
easy to follow.