non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Tue Dec 11 21:24:33 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec09.043647.25826 at iecc.cambridge.ma.us> johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
>It seems to me that the only plausible way to charge for space is to assign
>charge responsibility for each directory (with the default being that a
>directory is charged to the same user as its parent, so you only have to list
>users' home directories) and to add up the sizes of the files in all of s
>user's directory, charging 1/Nth of the blocks in an N block file, rounded up.

Sounds good.  I'll just put everything in /tmp.

Voila, no quotas.  (Since /tmp is generally owned by root, and root
generally has no quotas attached.)

The problem you describe with links is real, and could be a problem.
Anybody see any solution around this?

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."