non-superuser chown(2)s considered harmful

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sun Dec 16 14:28:20 AEST 1990

As quoted from <1990Dec11.102433.10999 at kithrup.COM> by sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
+---------------
| In article <1990Dec09.043647.25826 at iecc.cambridge.ma.us> johnl at iecc.cambridge.ma.us (John R. Levine) writes:
| >It seems to me that the only plausible way to charge for space is to assign
| >charge responsibility for each directory (with the default being that a
| >directory is charged to the same user as its parent, so you only have to list
| >users' home directories) and to add up the sizes of the files in all of s
| >user's directory, charging 1/Nth of the blocks in an N block file, rounded up.
|
| Sounds good.  I'll just put everything in /tmp.

I assume the semantics of a sticky directory would be expanded to cover this,
thus catching tmp files and mailboxes....

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN