Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6

Greg Hunt hunt at dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
Fri Dec 7 01:18:03 AEST 1990

In article <28349 at mimsy.umd.edu>, tewok at tove.cs.umd.edu (Uncle Wayne) writes:

> Unfortunately, Grace Hopper's logbook entry about the bug is yet
> another piece of folklore.  My father-in-law works at Dahlgren Naval
> Surface Warfare Center, the place where the bug entered history.  He
> has seen the logbook referring to the bug and our friend Grace wasn't
> on duty or in the building when the bug was found.  I imagine she came
> in later and found the bug in the logbook, but she wasn't there when
> the bug was found.  I've heard from the net that She went on to promote
> the bug and herself.  Yet another piece of folklore debunked -- that
> is, if you trust my father-in-law and me.

Well, I for one don't believe your father-in-law.  I heard Grace
Hopper speak once while I was working in Massachusetts, and she told
the story exactly as related here by other folks.  I have no reason
to doubt her.  She's an extraordinary lady.

Greg Hunt                        Internet: hunt at dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
DG/UX Kernel Development         UUCP:     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!hunt
Data General Corporation
Research Triangle Park, NC, USA  These opinions are mine, not DG's.