Jargon file v2.1.5 28 NOV 1990 -- part 1 of 6

Uncle Wayne tewok at tove.cs.umd.edu
Thu Dec 6 08:20:53 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec5.024705.10989 at mdivax1.uucp> mdivax1!mdisea!mitchell (Bill Mitchell) writes:

>Somewhere in the back of a dusty file drawer I have a xerox of a
>mazine article which printed a photo of Grace Hopper's logbook entry about
>the bug - with the bug itself (beaten to death by relay contacts)
>taped to the page.
>
>--

Unfortunately, Grace Hopper's logbook entry about the bug is yet
another piece of folklore.  My father-in-law works at Dahlgren Naval
Surface Warfare Center, the place where the bug entered history.  He
has seen the logbook referring to the bug and our friend Grace wasn't
on duty or in the building when the bug was found.  I imagine she came
in later and found the bug in the logbook, but she wasn't there when
the bug was found.  I've heard from the net that She went on to promote
the bug and herself.  Yet another piece of folklore debunked -- that
is, if you trust my father-in-law and me.

				Wayne Morrison