rcp behavior

David Collier-Brown davecb at yunexus.YorkU.CA
Sat Nov 10 01:20:00 AEST 1990

barmar at think.com (Barry Margolin) writes:
>"rcp srcfile host:destfile" is effectively equivalent to
>	rsh host "cat >destfile" <srcfile
>If the local system has all of the source file in its NFS cache, and the
>cache doesn't time out too soon, this should work.

  Interesting...  I hadn't thought about the effects of caching when I said

for i in *; do
	rcp foo my_Sun3_280:/tmp/foo &
done

  I was disappointed and a bit puzzled when multiple copies of a
non-zero-size foo produced a zero-size /tmp/foo.

--dave
ps: I was also bemused when my perfmeter window turned solid black - I
should have suspected an r-command would be expensive (:-)).
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb at Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave or just