rcp behavior

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Fri Nov 9 02:21:36 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov5.192620.1467 at nbc1.ge.com> scott at nbc1.GE.COM (Scott Barman) writes:

>I wrote and maintaining a program that has to run on both Suns and
>MicroVaxes (not my choice so save your flames).  To make sure sources
>stay the same on all machines I am using my Makefile to rcp the changed
>sources to the other machines.

	I prefer to use rdist for such things - it's even smart enough
to not stomp on top of files that you want, check last update times, etc.
I really suggest you take a look at it. To head off yet another complaint
about DEC: rdist is not part of the older releases of ULTRIX (I assume
you must be running an old release if you're getting NFS errors) :-)
but its source is available for FTP on uunet.uu.net in bsd-sources.

	One other nice thing about rdist is it lets you specify whole
directories to remote-maintain, and lets you give "except-patters" so
you don't wind up copying your VAX binaries to the Suns.

	Was that a "flame" ?

mjr.