asserts and unexpected returns (was: Re: Assert)

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Nov 12 18:25:22 AEST 1990

In article <4157 at awdprime.UUCP> daveb at bach.austin.ibm.com (Dave Burton) writes:
>I ignored this the first time around:
>The System V Programmer's Reference Manual also does not include
>namei() or major(), does this mean they're not there, or can't be
>relied upon in kernel code?

go check the kernel on AIX V3.1, you will find that it does not
include namei() as a kernel service.  clearly this proves that
you can't rely on non-standard or undocumented features.  don't
believe me - go check the source code.  no namei().

now will you give up?  you can't seem to accept that on some
system assert() and abort() return to their invoker, and now
you go claiming namei() is a common kernel service.  please,
quit while you are just slightly behind.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson