asserts and unexpected returns (was: Re: Assert)

Jim Balter jim at segue.segue.com
Wed Nov 14 09:32:08 AEST 1990

In article <18717 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>[...]  you can't seem to accept that on some
>system assert() and abort() return to their invoker, [...]

No one has claimed that assert cannot be made to return on some systems,
yet this is at least the third time that you have responded to some *other*
point as though that claim were being made.  Can you say *strawman*?
Since I previously explicitly pointed this out and yet you ignored it (you
did respond to other parts of my posting, so you did receive it), the only
explanation I can see is bad faith.  While there is plenty of room in the
information groups for disagreement, there is none for bad faith.

>will you give up?  you can't seem to accept that on some
>system assert() and abort() return to their invoker, and now
>you go claiming namei() is a common kernel service.  please,
>quit while you are just slightly behind.

This isn't a contest, John.