RAM disk.

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Thu Oct 11 03:30:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct10.152556.9367 at canterbury.ac.nz>
cosc038 at canterbury.ac.nz writes:

| We have seen something similar here in the Department.  Ordinarily
| the various processes involved in doing a cc(1) communicate using files
| in /tmp.  There is a -pipe option which connects the cc(1) processes
| directly using pipes, with no need for /tmp files.  The cc(1) man page
| comments that the -pipe option is "Very CPU intensive".  We have found
| though that when a server is heavily loaded compiles run MUCH more
| quickly on clients if the -pipe option is used.  I would put this
| down to the fact that when the -pipe option is used a lot less
| synchronous NFS writes to /tmp are required.

I don't think -pipe in general is more CPU intensive, but rather
memory intensive, in that you should have enough memory to run both
the compiler and assembler simulataneously without thrashing.  The
-pipe option also wins on a multiprocessor where the assembler and
compiler can run on separate CPU's.

--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?