"vote" to re-create comp.unix.wizards

Frank Peters fwp1 at CC.MsState.Edu
Fri Oct 12 00:03:16 AEST 1990

In article <18585 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
   In article <epeterso.655576167 at houligan> epeterson at encore.com (Eric Peterson) writes:
   >Huh?!?  What kind of guidelines are these?  If mean that *a* set of
   >guidelines has been followed, well, yeah, that's true.  But if you
   >mean that *the* Guidelines have been followed, which I'm sure you do
   >since you are proposing a new group and since there are specific
   >guidelines for that action, then you're wrong.

   you will notice that in virtually all of the part of the guidelines
   you quoted the word "should" was present.  not "must", but rather
   "should", or "may", or "might".  these guidelines are meant to
   serve as guidelines - a "guideline" is an overview or outline of
   expected behavior.  these are not rules cast in stone.

Well, if you carry this reasoning to its logical conclusion you don't
really *NEED* to hold a vote at all.  You could just newgroup c.u.w
and have done with it right?  So just go ahead and create it.

Oh!!  Wait!  We tried that one already didn't we???  Oops.

Trust me, if a newgroup comes out as a result of this vote that
ignores all of those optional guidlines it won't get much farther than
the last one did.

   also, comp.unix.wizards is not a "new" group - it is an "old"
   group.  the guidelines don't even begin to address issues such
   as re-creating a group which was freshly removed.

Funny, I don't see it in my active file.  Perhaps you missed the
rmgroup that came out a while back?  The one that resulted from a vote
that did follow all of those optional guidelines?

When that vote passed and the rmgroup issued c.u.w ceased to exist as
a group.  Perhaps that was a mistake.  Any effort to create c.u.w now
is the creation of a new group...admittedly with special
circumstances. But not enough special circumstances to justify
ignoring the guidelines that keep usenet from sliding from the goofy
to the totally ridiculous.

FWP

Frank Peters   Internet:  fwp1 at CC.MsState.Edu         Bitnet:  FWP1 at MsState
               Phone:     (601)325-2942               FAX:     (601)325-8921